The People's City Mission (PCM) has been a vital part of the Lincoln community for over 100 years. We were founded in 1907 by a number of local churches in the city. They wanted to demonstrate Christ's love to people who were impoverished and homeless by providing them with emergency assistance of food, shelter, and clothing.
Over the years, our purpose has remained the same: bring the good news of Jesus Christ to the poor and homeless, and demonstrate His love for them by meeting basic human needs. Over the years, more than five hundred thousand people have been assisted by our ministry.
Interesting facts about PCM:
1909 - We purchased our first facility in downtown Lincoln near N and 9th Street. This building had been a well-known house of prostitution called Lydia's House. It proved to be a great location for Christian outreach. Our first program focused on providing food and shelter to transient men. Many of them were German-Russian immigrants, and PCM assisted these early settlers of Lincoln with English classes and a German Sunday School.
1928 - Our services were significantly expanded during the Great Depression, when many people in the city sought help with food and shelter. There were few government programs in place to deal with this crisis, and we became the primary provider of emergency assistance to the city. Thousands of individuals were helped by PCM through this difficult period.
1960s - We added a number of new programs, including:
• Advocacy and support of Native Americans
• Family housing for women with children
• Rehabilitation program for alcoholics and drug addicts
• Lincoln Police Chaplaincy
1987 - We relocated to a larger facility at 110 "Q" Street. As a result, the number of beds available at PCM increased from 60 to 110. Over $1 million dollars in community support was raised, which completely paid for this expansion.
1990 - We opened the Mission's Homeless Prevention Center to distribute groceries, clothing and household items to needy families in the community.
2002 - We expanded our primarily facilities at 110 Q Street to accommodate more people and house a longer term rehabilitation program for women. This expansion increased our bed count from 110 to 210.
2004 - We opened the HIS Center (Homeless Intervention Service) to provide overnight shelter for chronically homeless men. This increased our total number of beds from 210 to 260. We also took over the operations of DayWatch, a day housing program for transient men. Our services include shelter, lunch, dinner, laundry and mail services.
2007 - We formed People's City Mission Housing Corporation (502(c)(4)) and Curtis Center Limited Partnership.
2008 - We opened the Carl and Mildred Curtis Transitional Housing Center which has 60 single-occupancy rental units for men and is staffed to offer training, counseling and education to the tenants. A smaller transitional living space was opened within the Family Shelter area to house up to 12 women. The number of people staying at our 110 Q Street campus now exceeds 300 per night.
We also moved the HIS Center (bunk space for 101 men) to the west side of the Mission Home building located at 110 Q Street and a special day area known as the Agape Cafe was opened for the use of the HIS Center guests and men who need a place to go during the day.
2008 - Mission Bean Coffee Corporation was established as a for-profit entity with all profits, after taxes, going to People's City Mission operating budget.
2009 - The PCM Medical Clinic opened, providing free medical, dental, vision, and counseling care to uninsured Lincoln residents. Most staff members are volunteers from the community, from medical professionals to receptionists to greeters.